Shirley Aquatics has a vast knowledge base to help you care for your marine life. Please select from the categories below to learn on how to appropriately care for your marine life.
Get in contact today to find out how we can help you.
Call today on 0121 744 1300
What is the best heating for my Terrapin?
Terrapins have very specific requirements when it comes to their heating and lighting. They need a heat light which will reach approx. 40*C and a UV light to replicate sun light. Without both of these they will not be able to digest their food properly and absorb the nutrients they require. Both of these lights should be on all day and turned off at night to replicate the day / night cycle. A duration of 12 – 14 hours per day is sufficient.
A white light is best for the heat light as they can see the white light so they know where the basking spot is. This light should be positioned over the top of the land area. Exo Terra Glow Light Reflector Medium is a great holder for your heat bulb as it comes with a hook for hanging and a clamp for clamping the lamp to the side of the tank. These will take a maximum wattage of 150watts.
A 5% or higher UV light must be added to the set-up which needs to be replaced every 6 – 12 months depending on the make of the bulb. After this time, the bulb will still work but there will be no UV coming out of it, rendering it useless for your terrapin.
How do I feed frozen bloodworm to a fish?Read More
What is the best thermostat for my Heat bulb?Read More
What is the best heating for my Terrapin?Read More
Why buy from us?
- Great Customer Service
- The personal touch
- We enjoy going the extra mile
- Always on the lookout for new and exciting things
- If we haven’t got it we will hunt it down and get it for you
- Competitive prices
- Exclusive ranges
- Decades of experience
- Great relationships with all of our suppliers, they are as keen as we are to help you
- Thousands of products on display
- Knowledgeable staff with experts in every aspect
- Last but not least…We care! Sounds cheesy, but we care about you, your pets, our store, our animals and each other